Total Pageviews

Friday, November 12, 2010

The exams and final Week Ten is finished!!!! Whoopeee!!!!

It's 7 AM Saturday morning and I couldn't sleep in because the Department of Propaganda has decided that 6 AM Saturday morning is a good time to play tradional vietnamese music through the sound speakers that are planted like street light poles all over the city. If, when I am walking the 6-7 km from work to home, and they broadcast through the system, I cannot escape the sound; the loudspeakers atop the tall poles are placed so that a person is never out of earshot. It might be different in the outer suberbs.

Week ten is finished. This last week we had exams from Wednesday to Friday.
All the teachers have to be involved in invigilating and marking exams in pairs. We are not allowed to see the exams until about half an hour before they administered. I invigilated a writing exam, and a reading and listening exam on Wednesday and Thursday. Yesterday, all the speaking exams were run. It's interesting to see how the different teachers run the exam.

One teacher was sick, so I had to get up at 5:30 AM and administer her Level 4 Speaking exams from 8 AM to 12:30 PM. Then at 1:00 PM I had another group of Level 6 speaking exams to attend to.

The students are paired up and the test requires them to speak to each other, introductions, negotiations, eliciting information etc. The teachers have a script which we must use to keep the exams fair and equivalent.

My brain was completely addled by the end of the day. I checked my emails before going home; there was an instruction to write a report for each student who had failed. Bugger, another couple of hours work.

No comments:

Post a Comment