Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First day at work

1/09/2010
Every seemed to sort of meet at breakfast for our fried eggs called omelette. The hotel does have Pho as well.

Then we walked to the university together at about 8:40 AM - some of us got a bit stuck on the side of the road because of the dreadful traffic at that time of the morning.

Nine of us turned up, but another teacher is coming from Ho Chi Minh City next week, and will only stay a short time. I'm still not sure which classes I'll have, but three people will teach only three days a week, and on the other two days they'll be developing special projects with the boss. I'm one of those people (so far) - I'm so glad I did the Masters program; what a great opportunity!!

Some of the future language teaching projects are being funded by Australian Government Departments, such as the one I used to work for. This going to be so interesting.

We have a desk and PC in coralled ares similar to the public service. the set up is fantastic and they have great IT setups for the students. We can create an internal WIKI site just for our class, where only the students from that particular class can log on and post pictures and write about themselves, talk to each other, the teacher can post homework etc. We can even set up an online journal where the student writes whatever, and only the teacher and that student can see it - the teacher can also write comments in the journal.

We even had a lesson on pronouncing students' names. That was very interesting. The boss is looking into arranging a teacher to come in and teach us Vietnamese; we'd all have to chip in to cover the costs.

I also got my mobile phone today.

I've got to try to finds an apartment tomorrow. I think now that I'd like to live in the Old Quarter around Lake Hoan Kiem. That will force me to catch the bus. Several teachers live in that area, and I know one that catches the bus.

1 comment:

  1. YEAH! i reckon an apartment would be good ma. I told andreea i couldn't go to her wedding so now i can come to vietnam in december if you want!!!!

    ReplyDelete